background





Sunday, February 6, 2011

CHD Awareness Poems

CHD Awareness Week officially starts tomorrow.  I will be updating each day this week with some facts and pieces of our story.  Please help us honor Tucker and the other CHD Warriors and Angels by sharing our updates or linking people to our websites.

I thought I would kick off the week a day early by sharing a few poems about CHDs and such:
½ An Angel’s Heart
It's a beautiful day up in heaven. Jesus is rounding up his tiniest angels, to go live on earth, and be born. One of the sweetest angels says to Jesus "I don't want to leave, I like it here, and I will miss you". He reassures the scared little angel that everything will be okay, and that he is just going for a visit. He is still not swayed on this idea. So Jesus kneels down, and says, "How about if you leave half of your heart here with me and take the other half with you, will that be okay?" The angel smiles and says, "I guess that will work". But the little angel is still a little scared.

He asks,"Will I be okay with only half of my heart?" Jesus replies,"Of course you will, I have other angels there that will help out, and you will be fine." Then Jesus gives the angel more details about his plan. He says "When you are born, your mommy will be scared, so you have to be strong, and when you feel weak just remember that I have the other half of your heart". "Enjoy your time with your family, play and laugh everyday." "And when its time to come back to heaven, I will make your heart whole again. Always remember that you are not broken, just torn between two loves."


A Mother’s Perspective
You passed me in the shopping mall…
(You read my faded tee)
You tapped me on the shoulder…
Then asked…”What’s a CHD?”
I could quote terminology…
There’s stats that I could give…
But I would rather share with you…
A mother’s perspective.
What is it like to have a child with a CHD?
It’s Lasix,aspirin,Captopril…
It’s wondering…Lord what’s your will?…
It’s monitors and oxygen tanks…
It’s a constant reminder to always give thanks…
It’s feeding tubes, calories, needed weight gain…
It’s the drama of eating…and yes it’s insane!
It’s the first time I held him…(I’d waited so long)
It’s knowing that I need to help him grow strong…
It’s making a hospital home for awhile…
It’s seeing my reward in every smile.
It’s checking his sats as the feeding pump’s beeping…
It’s knowing that there is just no time for sleeping…
It’s caths, x-rays and boo boos to kiss…
It’s normalcy I sometimes miss…
It’s asking do his nails look blue?
It’s cringing inside at what he’s been through.
It’s dozens of calls to his pediatrician…
(he knows me by name…I’m a mom on a mission)
It’s winters homebound…and hand sanitizer…
It’s knowing this journey has made me much wiser.
It’s watching him sleeping…
his breathing is steady…
It’s surgery day and I’ll never be ready.
It’s handing him over…( I’m still not prepared…)
It’s knowing that his heart must be repaired…
It’s waiting for news on that long stressful day…
It’s …praying…it’s hoping…that he’ll be okay.
It’s the wonderful friends with whom I’ve connected…
It’s the bond that we share…it was so unexpected…
It’s that long faded scar down my child’s small chest…
It’s touching it gently and knowing we’re blessed…
It’s watching him chasing a small butterfly…
It’s the moment I realized I’ve stopped asking why?
It’s the snowflakes that fall on a cold winter’s day…
(They remind me of those who aren’t with us today)
It’s a brave little boy who loved Thomas the train…
Or a special heart bear…or a frog in the rain….
It’s the need to remember we’re all in this plight….
It’s their lives that remind us we still need to fight!
It’s in pushing ahead amidst every sorrow…
It is finding the strength to have hope for tomorrow


A Father's Heart
A man walks through the double doors,
His eyes tell quite a story,
Although he has grown weary,
He still gives God the glory.
His child lives within these walls,
As many children do,
Look high up on the sign, you’ll see
That it says…ICU.
The nurses nod as he walks in,
And sets down all his things,
Although he knows what to expect,
Somehow it always stings.
He bends to kiss his sleeping child
His hands stroking soft hair,
And everyday the nurse can hear,
This tired father’s prayer.

Lord, please watch my child today,
And let him know your here,
Give him strength so he can fight,
And calm his every fear.
Wrap your arms around him,
The way I wish I could,
Remind him just how much he’s loved,
Remind him life is good.
I feel so very helpless,
Not sure what I can do,
I cannot even comprehend,
The things that he’s been through,
Give me strength to fight for him,
And help me understand…
Help me to accept your will…
No matter what the plan.
Lord, I know you’ll answer me,
And yes, I know you care,
Thanks again for hearing,
One father’s heartfelt prayer.
If someone stopped to ask him,
Are things going alright?
He’d feel no need to mention,
He didn’t sleep all night.
If we were given just a glimpse…
If we could see in part…
What thoughts and hopes are there to find
Within this father’s heart?
A father’s perspective…
My child has a heart defect,
Its “my job” to be strong,
And tell my wife things will be fine,
(And pray that I’m not wrong)
And still the bills need to get paid,
And things need to be done,
And it’s so hard just sitting here,
“I want to hold my son!”
I lean down as I watch him breathe,
“Keep fighting”, is my plea,
“I thought I’d teach you to be brave,
“But son, you have taught me”.
I hear the beeping of machines,
(They help my child live)
I wish that I could take his place,
(There’s nothing that I wouldn’t give!)
To have the faith and strength I need,
To hold back all my tears,
To say I know he’ll be okay,
Despite all of my fears.
I”ll only lose composure,
When no one’s here to see,
I will be the “strong” one,
As I’m supposed to be.
A daddy says,” Come to my arms,
I’ll chase all those monster’s away”,
I cannot change God’s plan for him,
But I can hope and pray.
A daddy needs to cry sometimes,
And God must see right through,
That ” tough daddy exterior”,
For He’s a daddy too.
~Stephanie Husted


I hope that these poems give you a little insight into our lives and our love for Tucker!

Don't forget the ways that you can get involved this week:

Monday, February 7 @ 4:30-10pm - Dinner at Durkin's in Allen, TX - A portion of all money made at Durkin's this night will go to our support group, Amazing Little Hearts, and will be used to bless other heart families that are in the hospital.  Durkin's Pizza is officially in Allen, but it is probably more like Frisco/McKinney.  The address is 8930 Hwy 121 in Allen and is at the intersection of 121 and Custer on the North side. Join us for dinner and help support the cause and raise awareness!!!

Saturday, February 12 @ 10 am - 4 pm - Blood Drive at Medical City Children's Hospital, Dallas - Almost all of the heart families use blood products at some point in their treatment.  Donated blood supplies are always depleted and this is one of the easiest way that you can support Tucker and the cause.  Come out and donate, see the new Children's Tower, and see some of our Heart Warriors!

You can also change your Facebook profie picture to one of the CHD badges here:  http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=332936&id=55876385420

Thanks for all of the love and support this week!  Be sure to check back for updates and to share our page with a friend!  We hope to see EVERYONE tomorrow night at Durkin's Pizza!!!

With love & Heart Hugs!


Trent, Dena, & Tucker

1 comment: